Working Families conducted a survey of over a thousand parents of disabled children in 2012 and produced a report “Finding Flexibility” available here:
We were alarmed at the pattern of unemployment and underemployment of parents of disabled children, and we want to see change.
• 27 per cent of parents were not in paid work
• 82 per cent had given up work to care for their disabled child
• 91 per cent of those not in work would like to undertake paid work
• Over 50 per cent of those not in work had given up at least six years ago, making it very difficult to get back into the labour market
• Finding suitable childcare was the main barrier to work
• 64 per cent of those in work had refrained from seeking promotion, declined promotion or accepted demotion in order to balance caring and paid work.